Diary‎ > ‎

Potential new therapy for allergic reaction to honey bee stings.

posted Feb 14, 2021, 2:44 PM by Helen Mooney   [ updated Feb 14, 2021, 2:46 PM ]
Every beekeeper gets asked, "do you get stung? Does it hurt?" Every beginner asks "how often do you get stung?" Many year 2 and 3 beekeepers report increased swelling and itching that lasts for days, after a sting. Although this reaction can disappear during the following years, it is a warning sign. Aside from poor handling and more pronounced defensive behaviour in hybridised bees, beginners also need to know the risk of getting multiple stings early on in their beekeeping years, and the associated risk of anaphylaxis. Immunotherapy is available, but it can take up to three years. In date Epi-Pens must be carried if the beekeeper is showing signs of an allergy. There may be a less cumbersome therapy on the horizon. Hopefully, beginners will get a chance later in the year to get suited up in a training environment and learn how to gently handle their bees. Many beginners , because they are so cautious and careful, don't get a sting in their first year at all.
"(July 2019) A research team led by Flinders University’s Professor Nikolai Petrovsky has completed a human clinical trial on an adjuvant vaccine designed to eliminate the risk of an allergic reaction to European honeybee stings"
http://www.sci-news.com/medi.../advax-bee-vaccine-07410.html